New Federal Standard 809 Prohibits the Neutralization and Repair of all Black Label GSA Containers
Do you have a Black Label container that is currently affixed with a Kaba Mas X-09 spin dial? If so, it might be time to consider upgrading that lock to a new Kaba Mas X-10. On April 4th, GSA released a new Standard 809 stating that once a Black Label GSA Container is neutralized (drilled open) it cannot be repaired. Easter’s Lock & Security Solutions highly recommends that all customers who are currently utilizing the X-09 spin dial upgrade their lock to the newest Kaba Mas X-10.
In October 2015 the X-09 was issued it’s end-of-life because of a prevalent issue regarding the stepper motor. The X-09 showed signs of continuous failure and as such was replaced with the X-10. To date, the X-10 has performed exceptionally well. Even if your X-09 is working fine, should you experience a failure we cannot drill open your lock and repair it.
Upgrading to the Kaba Mas X-10 now can save you the cost of a new GSA Container.
Federal Standard 809 Recommends Periodic Service of your GSA Container!
Per the new Standard, Periodic maintenance of electro-mechanical combinations is highly recommended for all locks and should include the following:
- Operate the lock to include changing the combination as appropriate under local and national policy requirements.
- Check the dial and dial ring for proper alignment and smooth operation.
- Check for loose dial ring, spindle or mount screws.
- Replace all damaged parts. Lubricate according to manufacturer’s instructions using only the recommended lubricant.
- Check LCD for missing segments, cracks in the display lens or error codes displayed.
- Perform the battery check procedure, replace batteries if appropriate. Replace batteries every 5 years or as recommended by the manufacturer.